Friday 22 January 2016

Impact of childhood stories

Each one of us has our own favorite rhymes and stories - Baa Baa Black Sheep, London Bridge is Falling Down, The Fox and The Lion story, The Clever crow story and many more. When my kid is now singing rhymes and telling stories, all my childhood memories are flooding back.

Impact of Rhymes and Stories:

1. They are good for the brain. When the child repeatedly hears the rhymes and stories, they understand the how language works. They understand complex words too easily. Children try to express themselves coherently when they recite the rhymes. Consequently, they develop the verbal skills quickly.

2. The visual and oral experience including pictures and music of rhymes and stories improve their memory capabilities.

3. They improve their cognitive skills and enable the children to quickly develop the skills of conceptualization of color, shapes, size and movement.

4. Movements, facial expressions, coordination, and gestures naturally develop their motor skills.

5. They improve their reading and listening skills.

6. They develop their imaginative skills. Stories and rhymes open up their imagination as they paint mental pictures of places and things.

7. They develop social and bonding skills also easily.

Fantastico Stories that I love the most:

Stories and Rhymes have the power to mold the children and load them with moral values easily. Though I have a lot of stories to share which taught me good moral values, I restrict myself to only 2.

1. The Clever Crow Story:

The moral of the story of The Clever crow story is thinking and working hard enables us to find a solution to our problem.

I used to participate in all competitions and won many prizes when I was going to school. There was an elocution competition when I was studying Class VII. I came to know about the competition only the day before as I was in one week leave due to illness. There were no mobiles at that time. Also, only very few houses had landline facility too. So, my teachers told me that they were not able to communicate about this competition to me earlier. They told me that they can participate if I could prepare within one night.

I was not able to control my tears as I thought I could not do it within one night. I returned from school and was crying continuously.

My mom asked me the reason. I told her everything. My mom said to me, "Raji, You are not going to find a solution by crying. It is useless". My parents call me as Raji. That is my alias name.  "Mom, if I did not get any fever, I could have participated in this competition. It is a district level competition and my teacher told me that  the 1st price is a very big cup. God only gave me fever but is not helping me now.", I told. It is ridiculous now to think what I have told.

"No dear. The competition has not over yet. God has given you one full night to prepare. Why can't you try?", she asked me. "Mom, the library must have been closed by this time. It is already late. How can I prepare now without any reference?", I asked her.

"You know about the thirsty crow story right", she told. "Yes, mom. I know the moral too", I said. "So, you know thinking and trying hard will help you to find a solution right", she told. "Yes mom", I told.

"Okay. Now let us sit and think what can be done. What is the topic?", she asked. "It is about the great leader K.Kamarajar. As tomorrow is his birthday, the competition is about him.", I told.

"Library could be really helpful to gather reference books. But now it is not possible. Okay. I suddenly got an idea. You had a lesson about Kamarajar in Tamil language paper last year. We have given your last year books only to our neighbor Priya. Go and get the Tamil book immediately from her", she told.

"Mom, This competition is for middle-class students. So, everyone knows that lesson. The other participants might tease me if I just talk whatever is in the book. There will be nothing new. How Can I win then?.", I asked her.

"Elocution is not only about the points you talk. It is important what you say. But it is more important how you say it. Be fluent, elegant and persuasive. Use striking and appropriate words and express them with strong emotions. Try hard and you can win dear.", she told.

I got the book from Priya and my mom helped me in preparing the content. I spent the whole night in preparing for the competition. My mom was there with me helping the whole night.

I went and participated in the next day. Luckily I was the one who was asked to speak at last. So, I got more time to prepare. Keeping the thirsty crow story in mind, I spoke well.

All the competition for that day were over. They had started announcing the results. They started with the middle-class Elocution competition results. I was nervous but I had hope to win at least third prize. Third place was announced first and I was not the one. Second place was also announced and it was also not me. I lost my hope and tears started coming out. The first place was announced and I couldn't believe that it was me. Tears flooded quickly but due to happiness. That is my biggest cup which I got for a competition. It is still there in my native. Everyone asks about the cup and appreciates me even now.

"Mom, Thank you. If you could not have helped me, I could not have won.", I told her. "No dear. God and The Thirsty crow story helped you.", she told with a smile.

Whenever I lose hope and think that I do not have a solution to a problem, I recollect this memory and story. That's it. It boosts my confidence instantly and make me go ahead in life.

Thank you, mom and the thirsty crow story for teaching me to try and working hard. The moral is the one of the biggest treasure which makes me shine.

2. The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs:


Moral of the story - Too much greed always leads great loss.

I learned this story when I was in Class I. Since I learned this story in early stage itself, the moral has set in my mind strongly. Thank God for making me know about this story and I never felt greedy in life. I am extremely happy with what I have. I have never been in hurry or greedy to get things.

I feel poor for the people who are facing a loss because of their greediness. If everyone understands the moral of this story, no one will go in the wrong path. Greediness is the main reason for people committing a crime.

I advise the parents to tell this story and its moral to their children in the early stage itself. They will never get greediness in life. They will learn to be ethical and patient forever. It also makes them feeling happy with whatever they have.

Not only Rhymes and stories teach us moral values. Every child's learning process starts with Rhymes and Stories only. Both of them have the power of stimulating the children's brain.


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment