Tuesday 22 March 2016

My Beautiful Holi Memories

As I am from Tamil Nadu, we have never celebrated Holi as a family. Before I got Shwetha in my life, I have seen Holi only on the TV. Shwetha is my best friend who is very close to my heart. I came to know about her through my dad's friend. When they visited our native for a family trip, they came to our house to taste Tirunelveli Halwa. We both were too little and language was a barrier for us to play together. We smiled at each other only when they were about to leave. But both of our families mingled very nicely.

When Diwali came that year, they had sent us a greeting card to greet for Diwali. We did the same thing for New Year and they sent for Pongal again. To our surprise, they sent us a handwritten letter too inviting us to their house for Holi.

When my father asked me whether we could go to their home, I was very skeptical to visit their home. As were very little at that time, we were not fluent in English too. My father convinced me somehow. He guessed that their family must be wearing new dresses for Holi. He did not want us to wear old dresses. So, he had bought us new dresses for Holi.

We boarded the train and reached their place after traveling for 42 hours. It was such a long travel. That uncle had come to pick us up from the station. We reached their house safely without getting stained from colors.

I took the bath and wore the new dress. As soon as I came out, Shwetha she put gulaal on me. My new dress got fully stained and I started to cry. I was not able to control myself. After seeing me crying, Shwetha went inside her room and brought a new dress.

She told me that they have bought that dress only for me and asked me to wear. She apologised too. I loved that dress too. So, I stopped crying and went to wear that dress.

When I came back, I saw Shwetha's friend sitting in the hall. Her native was Tamil Nadu and she had known even Tamil.  She immediately became close to me. She asked me whether Shwetha's dad had bought 2 similar dresses. I asked why she is asking. She told that even Shwetha showed the same dress as her Holi dress few days before.

Shwetha went and took her from the hall to tell something. When she returned back, I asked her what they talked. She told me that the dress I was wearing was Shwetha's. She had given me her Holi dress as I was crying. I was stunned to hear her response.

I immediately went and hugged Shwetha. I went and took some gulaal and asked her to throw at me again. She was hesitating initially. I told her not to worry and asked to put me gulaal. I told her that I would keep the dress with gulaal for the lifetime as a token of love.

Since that year, we have been meeting for every Holi. We buy dresses for each other just to stain with gulaal. If you have someone to put gulaal on you, it means that you have someone to love you to the core.

I’m pledging to #KhulKeKheloHoli this year by sharing my Holi memories atBlogAdda in association with Parachute Advansed.

3 comments: